“I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.” Donald Trump, January 23, 2016
And then it dawned on me: give credit where credit is due.
I tried to quote him directly, verbatim, and only added context or dates for clarity.
Here they are:
“You know, it really doesn’t matter what (the media) write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.” Donald Trump
“Show me someone without an ego, and I’ll show you a loser.”― Donald J. Trump
“My motto is: Always get even. When somebody screws you, screw them back in spades.”
― Donald J. Trump
“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak… as being spit on by the rest of the world.”
Trump, of course, referring to the Tiananmen Square massacre on June 4, 1989, in which hundreds of pro-democracy protesters were killed by a military presence of as many as 10,000 troops accompanied by tanks. After several weeks of demonstrations, Chinese troops entered Tiananmen Square and fired on civilians.
Estimates of the death toll range from several hundred to thousands.
It has been estimated that as many as 10,000 people were arrested during and after the protests.
You have to see and hear this one, as it doesn’t translate in printed words. At a rally in Myrtle Beach, S.C., on Tuesday, Nov. 24, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump imitates New York Times reporter, Serge Kovaleski who is disabled. (Reuters)
“My whole life I’ve been greedy, greedy, greedy,” Trump said. “I’ve grabbed all the money I could get. I’m so greedy. But now I want to be greedy for the United States. I want to grab all that money. I’m going to be greedy for the United States.” -DJT
“I didn’t even know he endorsed me,” Trump said, “David Duke endorsed me? OK, alright. I disavow, OK?” Friday, February 26, press conference
Transcript of interview concerning David Duke, Sunday, February 28, CNN
TAPPER: I want to ask you about the Anti-Defamation League, which this week called on you to publicly condemn unequivocally the racism of former KKK grand wizard David Duke, who recently said that voting against you at this point would be treason to your heritage.
Will you unequivocally condemn David Duke and say that you don’t want his vote or that of other white supremacists in this election?
TRUMP: Well, just so you understand, I don’t know anything about David Duke. OK? I don’t know anything about what you’re even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don’t know.
I don’t know, did he endorse me or what’s going on, because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. And so you’re asking me a question that I’m supposed to be talking about people that I know nothing about.
TAPPER: But I guess the question from the Anti-Defamation League is, even if you don’t know about their endorsement, there are these groups and individuals endorsing you. Would you just say unequivocally you condemn them and you don’t want their support?
TRUMP: Well, I have to look at the group. I mean, I don’t know what group you’re talking about.
TRUMP: You wouldn’t want me to condemn a group that I know nothing about. I would have to look. If you would send me a list of the groups, I will do research on them. And, certainly, I would disavow if I thought there was something wrong.
TAPPER: The Ku Klux Klan?
TRUMP: But you may have groups in there that are totally fine, and it would be very unfair. So, give me a list of the groups, and I will let you know.
TAPPER: OK. I mean, I’m just talking about David Duke and the Ku Klux Klan here, but…
TRUMP: I don’t know any — honestly, I don’t know David Duke. I don’t believe I have ever met him. I’m pretty sure I didn’t meet him. And I just don’t know anything about him.
TAPPER: All right.
”The Reform Party now includes a Klansman, Mr. Duke, a neo-Nazi, Mr. Buchanan, and a communist, Ms. Fulani,” Trump said in his statement. ”This is not company I wish to keep.” NY Times, Published: February 14, 2000
“Although I am totally comfortable with the people in the New York Independence Party, I leave the Reform Party to David Duke, Pat Buchanan and Lenora Fulani. That is not company I wish to keep.” Donald Trump, from an op-ed in the New York Times,Published: February 19, 2000
Oh, and by the way: Trump said, “I have the world’s greatest memory. It’s one thing everyone agrees on.” Phone interview with NBC news, November 23, 2015
Do you understand the lessons he is teaching our country, our daughters and sons, the rest of the world? He is possibly the most quoted man in the world right now.
I mean this literally: For the love of God, do not support this man for President of the United States.
- “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
2. “The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.” –Jesus
3. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous.” -Jesus (you might almost call that his motto)
4. “You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire.” –Jesus
5. So many to choose from here. “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”–Jesus said that.
6. “No slave can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.”
The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all this, and they ridiculed him. So he said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of others; but God knows your hearts; for what is prized by human beings is an abomination in the sight of God.”
7. “Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No’; anything more than this comes from the evil one.” –Jesus (To be clear, Jesus refers here to making oaths to prove one’s honesty, which he rejects in place of simply telling the truth.)
Final thought: You know this blog is about grace and I’m certain you could find six things (maybe even more) I’ve said and done that conflict with Jesus’ words. If you do so, I will pray and do my best to repent of those things and to turn away from my sin and toward God. My point is not that Donald Trump is a sinner–we’re all sinners and God’s grace can save us. My point is that Donald Trump has shown, unrepentantly, who he is and where he will lead (he questions the need for asking forgiveness, period). I’m told he’s a leader, I’m told he’s honest (he isn’t), I’m told he’s exciting. From what I can tell, he is a hateful, prideful, vengeful, divisive, greedy (his word), wealth-serving (Jesus’ word), racist, misogynistic liar. If he can excite people and lead them there, he will. He is.
Please don’t let him. And if you feel as I do, please pray.